Powered By Blogger

Sunday 24 November 2013

Television presenter Sir Bruce Forsyth has said he believes he is living "on borrowed time" but has no plans to retire yet.
I have interviewed Sir Bruce on many occasions over the years, he and his beautiful wife ex Miss World Wilnelia in fact became neighbours of ours when the bought a property in Marbella. I've always found them the most charming couple and was delight when Brucie was awarded the well overdue knighthood. The fun photo is of myself, Sir Bruce and Kenny Lynch another long term friend. I'd love to say it was taken yesterday but it has to be 25 years ago!!!!
The 85-year-old said the relentless schedule of hosting Strictly Come Dancing "can drag you down" and hinted that this year might be his last on the show. Sir Bruce, who first appeared on Sunday Night At The London Palladium in 1958, said he has a number of projects lined up for next year, but did not mention Strictly as one of them. "I've got three one-man show dates fixed for next year and I'm doing another thing for TV in April that I can't talk about yet," he told The Sun. "So if I was to leave Strictly Come Dancing, I wouldn't retire. That's the furthest thing from my mind at the moment. While I'm able to walk and play golf I'll still work." Sir Bruce admitted the punishing schedule for Strictly was difficult, despite him having a break during the run, saying: "The constant week-after-week can drag you down, especially when you are getting older." And he was pragmatic about the inevitability of his own mortality. "I know I'm on borrowed time," he said. "There's no getting away from it. When I look at all my friends that have gone - Eric Sykes, Frankie Howerd, Sammy Davis Jr - I know I'm on borrowed time. "How I'm still here I just don't know. I don't know how, why or wherefore. But I'm not really questioning it that much. The day will come and it could be tomorrow, who knows? "It's no good saying it's never going to come. You've got to be able to accept it. I'm conditioning myself so it's not going to be a big surprise. It will just be, 'OK, time to go'. "When the time is up I'll be ready for it. I probably won't be very happy about it. But I'll know it's time to go." The veteran star also explained how he still has ambitions for his career. "The other thing I'd like to do is a small part or cameo in a wonderful film like Harry Potter," he said. "I would be a terrible old man. Scrooge maybe. "The trouble with Britain is they tend to cubbyhole you. To most people in this business, I'm a game show host. I can go to Glastonbury and prove all that wrong but people still think of me as the guy from The Price Is Right and The Generation Game. "In America it's completely different. You can present a game show and have a part in Law And Order or a film." Sir Bruce also took a gentle swipe at Strictly's main Saturday night TV rival, The X Factor, calling it "boring" and suggesting it may have run its course. "(Simon Cowell) may wave a magic wand and make The X Factor a completely different show," he said. "But I don't know how you can revamp a show which is a singer, followed by judges, followed by a singer, followed by a singer, followed by judges, followed by a singer, maybe a guest star, followed by another singer. "And after two hours, what happens? Another singer. He has done marvels in the past, but I think the end has got to come. "I just think people have stopped watching it. It's the kind of show that can get boring. For those kind of shows, the days are numbered."

No comments:

Post a Comment