Powered By Blogger

Saturday 23 May 2015



Sad news: Lynn 'Twinkle' Ripley from Surrey died this week aged 66 after a five-year cancer battle. The pop starlet outdid the Sex Pistols when she was banned from appearing on the BBC following uproar about her first single.
Many know that I used to manage Mandy Smith. I signed a record deal with Stoke Aitkin and Waterman back in '86 for Mandy. Pete Waterman got a call from Pete Burns , lead singer from Dead Or Alive, who advised him to sign Mandy as she looked like a young Bridgett Bardot in that iconic poster of Bardot on a motorbike (See photos above Bardot on the left Mandy on the Right) . I signed her to Watewrman's label PWL and recorded a cover of Twikles only one hit single 'Terry'. I didn't like it and insisted that Mike Stock and Mat Aitken pen an original which they did called ' Just Can't Wait'.' Thankfully that was a hit all over Europe and Japan but like Twinkle it was BANNED by the BBC! So here is the never released single of Mandy's version of Terry. See what you think...



AND HERE'S MANDY'S VERSION THAT WAS NEVER RELEASED AS A SINGLE UNDER MY INSISTENCE . I WANTED TO LAUNCH MANDY WITH ORIGINAL AND NOT A COVER.




AND THIS IS MANDY'S FIRST RELEASE PENNED BY STOCK, AITKEN AND WATERMAN. 'I JUST CAN'T WAIT' IT SHOT UP THE CHARTS ALL OVER EUROPE AND JAPAN AND WAS FOLLOWED BY A STRING OF HITS. DID I MAKE A MISTAKE NOT ALLOWING TERRY TO BE RELEASED I WILL NEVER KNOW.



P.S. I HAD A CAMEO ROLE IN THE VIDEO . IT'S ME GETTING OUT OF THE CAR WITH MANDY SURROUNDED BY THE CRAZY PAPERRAIZA. MY FIFTEEN MINUTES OF FAME

No comments:

Post a Comment