Sunday, 22 December 2013


Over 10,000 people took to the streets of the Stockholm suburb of Kärrtorp Sunday to protest racism and Nazism, according to the Swedish news outlet The Local.

Due to the fact that a similar anti-racism rally on Dec. 15th was soured by violence at the hands of neo-Nazis, police presence was heavy, with over 100 officers guarding the premises.

The organizers of Sunday's demonstration estimated more than 16,000 people took part. The crowd chanted "End racism now" and "No racists on our streets", and prominent Swedish artists played on a stage set up on a soccer field.
Sweden, long seen as a bastion of tolerance, has seen a rise in support for the far right as immigration has grown. Anti-immigration party Sweden Democrats has reached around 10 percent in the polls ahead of a parliamentary election next year.

Neo-Nazi activity in Sweden is also on the rise, according to a new report by the non-profit Expo Foundation. The report counted 1,824 neo-Nazi activities in 2012, a 24 percent increase from 2011.

Parts of Karrtorp, which does not have a particularly large migrant population compared to other areas of the city, were sprayed-painted with swastikas and Nazi slogans before last week's protest.

Smaller anti-racism rallies were held in support at several other Swedish cities on Saturday and Sunday.


A bomb detonated at the back of a bus in Bat Yam on Sunday afternoon, in what police suspect was a terrorist attack.

Passengers on Dan 240 bus that goes from the Bnei Brak to the Bat Yam cemetery noticed a suspicious package at the back of the bus.

They alerted the bus driver, who asked if the black bag belonged to anyone and when no one answered, he stopped the bus at the corner of Mivtza Sinai and Katznelson streets in Bat Yam, ordered the passengers off the bus, and alerted police, who sent bomb experts to the scene.

One of the passengers on the bus, David Papo, opened the bag. He said the big black bag had what looked like a pressure cooker inside of it with red wire coming out of it.

The 12 passengers that were on the bus and its driver were evacuated from the area and were 15 meters away when the bomb went off. The blast occurred 10 minutes after passengers were evacuated, the driver said.

The bomb went off before police bomb experts had a chance to defuse it.

One policeman was lightly injured in his ear from the blast noise.

Police are saying that while they are not yet sure if the motive was criminal or nationalist, they are suspecting a terror attack.

In wake of the bus blast, the national police chief ordered an increase in police presence in public places, and called for public to increase awareness and notify the police of any suspicious packages.

No comments:

Post a Comment