Powered By Blogger

Saturday 8 February 2014

CANCER

As many of you will know I have, over the years, I've supported many cancer related charities, starting way back 20 odd years ago when I was approached by the then newly formed Cudeca foundation to help them raise funds to build Spain's first cancer hospice and specifically 10 million pesetas needed to pay the builder to finish the roof. Thankfully with the support of many silent volunteers along with my BIG mouth we raised the funds needed. Back then I was then the host of The Late Late Breakfast Show on Radio Onda Cero International and decided that I would run a month long campaign naming it Raise The Roof and calling on all golf clubs, tennis and bowling clubs, bars and restaurant etc to help raise the 10 million Pesetas needed to put the roof on the hospice. At the end of that month I staged a spectacular black tie gala at Marbella’s Guadalmina Hotel staring Max Bygraves, Lonnie Donagan and a host of stars. At the end of the evening a large cheque was raised up above the stage with not 10 million but 30 million Pesetas on it and not a dry eye in the house!!!
That was the start of my association with Cudeca. Since then I’ve staged many gala evenings and celebrity golf tournaments in aid of Cudeca with such stars as Jasper Carrot, Robert Powell, Dennis Waterman, Kenny Lynch, Stan Boardman, Jess Conrad and John Lodge from The Moody Blues flying in to support the fund raising. I’ve launched the Cudeca radio Telethon raising over 75,000 Euro on its first broadcast and many hundreds of thousands since and of course The WOW Factor. Thankfully and with the help of many we’ve raised in the region of 1 million Euro for Cudeca.
My reason for working closely with the hospice is because I lost my late father Dr Stanley Boland through the ravages of cancer about 30 years ago. We didn’t have palliative home care then in Dublin and I watched him suffer terribly near the end of his life. So whenever I can get the opportunity to help in any way those that are suffering I will. Over the past year I have been touched by the bravery of many cancer sufferers not more so than two exceptional woman who bring their fight against the deseace using music to inspire other sufferers, they are Katherine Crowe and Megan Kowalewski. I have such amazing admiration for both these women.
Megan’s latest offering (below) is to help those who are going through Chemotherapy and the dreaded hair loss that sometimes follows

No comments:

Post a Comment