Powered By Blogger

Sunday 13 September 2015

Most Jews through out the world will be getting ready for the beginning of the Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year Over the next two days we will be attending our synagogues. According to Jewish tradition Rosh Hashanah marks the anniversary of the creation of the world. The phrase Rosh Hashanah literally translates to "Head of the Year."



Jewish tradition teaches that Rosh Hashanah is also the Day of Judgment. On Rosh Hashanah, God is said to inscribe the fate of every person for the upcoming year in the Book of Life. It's the time when the almighty decides who shall live and who shall die, who shall be sick and who shall be well, who shall be rich and who shall be poor etc etc. The verdict is not final until Yom Kippur which follows is 10 days. It was during Yom Kippur 1973 when most of the young Israeli solders were in the synagogues observing the holiest day of the year that a coalition of Arab states led by Egypt and Syria attacked Israel. In short Israel was caught with its pants down and it looked inevitable that this was going to be the victory that they Arabs had always prayed for. But what they seen to forget this was Israel they attacked and Israel has one of the finest armies and air forces in the world , it was long before the army was immobilized and the Arabs were on the run and Israel celebrated another great victory.

The essential mitzvah (commandment) of Rosh Hashanah is to hear the sounding of the shofar. The shofar is generally made from a hollowed out ram's horn that is then blown like a trumpet on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur (see photo above). There are several different shofar calls used on Rosh Hashanah.

As I write this I'm reflecting on the year that as just gone and I certainly will be thanking G-d for the wonderful blessing he has bestowed on myself and my family. A blessing of amazing sons and daughter-in-laws and 5 outstanding grandchildren. I will thanking him for successes in my new life I never dreamed would happen. I thanking G-d for the blessings good health on my family and friends.

Yesterday I was invited to host two huge shows for 2016 both UK and Scotland on behave of the Police Benevolent Fund one of the stars they hope will be Rod Stewart and Ani Lennox. Looking back on the year it was a year I turned down my return to radio from, well I suppose most of you can guess. I turned down TWO TV shows, channel 4's Come Dine With Me, and BBC MacEntire investigation into the missing Amy Fitzpatrick. I also turned down an article in a glossy magazine reflecting on the change of direction in my life and all this at a time I've been of radio and out of the public eye for the last two years. Over 60,000 people have chosen to read My Story and thousands are following me on Facebook. I remember a few years ago some loser called my a 'Has-been !!!'

So you see why I have a lot to thank G-d for... Happy New Year to all my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Why did you turn down the TV shows maurice?

    ReplyDelete