Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 25 May 2016


I was delighted to have been invited on RTE 1 LiveLine Show hosted by Joe Duffy. The Subject of the program was 'Are Irish criminals hiding out in Marbella and do they direct the killings back to Ireland?' Firstly I told him I personally don't know any Irish or any other nationality killers living in Marbella or any other part of Spain and if they are, they certainly keep a very low profile. I explained many years ago back in the '80's and early 90's there was no extradition agreement between Spain and the UK, Marbella then was a sea of colorful rogues in fact my very first TV show's guest was one of the UK's most wanted Ronnie Knight. wanted for his involvement in the £6 million armed robbery at a Security Express depot in Shoreditch, East London.The show was filmed in Coin Film City the home of the BBC's Eldorado TV soap.
Ronnie Knight pictured here on The Boland Show with night club icon Peter Stringfellow One of UK's most notaries criminals hiding out in Spain.
Knight agreed to be my guest the day before he handed himself into Scotland Yard after a 11 years on the run in Marbella and was flown back to UK on a private jet supplied by the Sun Newspaper in return for an exclusive story but I had already got it!

So what about 'crime' in Marbella? Marbella is one of the wealthiest resorts in Europe, if not the wealthiest and per capeta the murder rate is probably the lowest in Europe. In fact I would safely add that it is possibly one of the safest places in the world to live. We have NEVER had what is called random killings. I believe if there are criminals living here they keep a very low profile as the Guardia Civil are renowned for taking no prisoners, in fact its there NO TOLERANCE approach that ran the Eastern European gangs out of the Costa during their criminal activities back in the mid 90's. I think it would be hard to count the number of serious crimes annually on one hand!!! Thankfully The Costa del Sol lost the tag Costa Del Crime many years ago and rightfully so

I couldn't believe how many texts my phone received seconds after I came off air. My phone lit up like a Christmas tree. I was amazed. The question put to me by a very well know UK radio and TV personality who I know very well and who's is known here on the Costa who called me as he heard the Joe Duffy interview whilst in Dublin and asked me 'Do I miss broadcasting?' without hesitation I replied 'Bet your life I do!' Would I go back to it? There would need to be a very substantial offer to tempt me away from the world I now love in Real Estate I for sure there isn't a radio station on the costa that would have that sort of money to pay me. On the other hand, 2 years ago if you told me I would have had the successes I've enjoyed in real estate I would have laughed. So I suppose my answer to whether I would return to the airways has to be 'Who knows'

P.S: Just heard Joe Duffy earns over 500,000 € per annum!

No comments:

Post a Comment